Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Driving in Shanghai

Are you kidding me? I have joked about driving in New York or Los Angeles, but nothing, nothing can compare to driving in Shanghai!

Traffic lights are only recommendations here. Even when walking on the sidewalk, you need to watch out for bicycles and mopeds and motorcycles. ON THE SIDEWALK! One intersection has EIGHT ways to travel! I have only seen one accident, and I was told that was because China has very skilled drivers. I guess you could say that. I mean, they would shut down an American city if people drove like this.

Let me give you an example. On the way home from the airport, my driver was in the far left lane of a three-lane highway. The exit was on the far right. He almost missed it.

Almost.

From 100 KMH to 0 in about three seconds flat, he stopped, and I mean stopped, in the fast lane. A complete stop. Not rolling. Stopped.

The cars behind us were traveling at least 80 to 100 KMH. They didn't stop.

As you can imagine, horns honked everywhere. I turned around to see trucks darting around us. I yelled, yes, I yelled, "GO, GO, GO!" The driver laughed.

He backed up slightly while cars were still trying to avoid us.

Then, he turned. 90 degrees to the right.

And went across two lanes to the exit. I have never truly thought my life would end. Until that moment.

The driver never blinked.

"Welcome to China," I said to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment