Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Sports in China (at least in Shanghai)

I think the entire country stopped breathing for a moment when Yao Ming hurt his foot against the Lakers. It didn't take too long for them to lose interest in the NBA after that.

That's OK because there a many sports more entertaining than basketball.

I can't believe I just said that.

Try badminton. I always thought badminton was a game you played after everyone was drunk at a family reunion. You know, those reunions where you want every excuse to smash the birdie at cousin Joe, who always made fun of you when you were a kid.

I watched badminton on CCTV 5 for two hours this morning. It was the longest I have watched TV at one time since I arrived. I couldn't stop! First was a doubles match. I could hardly see the birdie! The athleticism was as good as I have seen. I have no idea how fast the birdie was going, but it made tennis look like chess.

I can't wait to show off my new moves at the summer BBQ.

But wait, badminton isn't even the most entertaining sport in China.

That would be ping-pong.

Seriously, is every sport in China played at 1,000 miles per hour? I would love, for even a moment, to try to play with ANYONE in China. Even at the university, the students play in between classes. Even THEY would beat me. With one hand. And their eyes closed.

I bought a ticket to my first football game. We call it soccer, of course. China will play Japan. The match is next week so I have time to brush up on my Chinese cheers and my yelling and screaming. I was told the fans are not quite as crazy as Europeans, but that it could be the most chaotic experience of my life. I'm ready.

And if China wins... Lisa, the life insurance is in the safe.

I would mention Cricket here, but I can't because I have no idea what is happening in that sport.

I can't really stress the importance of sports in China. Every commercial that is not about Lebron James or Kobe Bryant is about how kids in China are practicing to be great at various sports. The kids are shown in large "camps" working on different skills. As the video airs, the date of the Olympics that the child is "preparing" for appears on screen. 2012. 2016. Even 2020. It is impressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment