Sunday, May 17, 2009

My First International Basketball Experience

I had my first chance to play international basketball. What a difference!

 Some faculty invited me to play with a group that has been playing twice a week for more than 10 years. This group included the president of the university and many senior faculty. I was the youngest player by a few years, but you wouldn’t know it. These guys are in GREAT shape. They tell me it is eating right, understanding their limitations and Tai Chi. I’m sold. 

In American basketball, we play a lot of half-court sets and one-on-one offense and defense. Not in China. I ran full speed for a full two hours. The few times I received the ball in the post area, and held it for more than a second so I could make my move, it was game over, with three or four defenders collapsing on me. A turnover each time. 

So, I had to run. I had to make baskets by getting the rebound and quickly putting the ball back up, or I had to cut and be ready for the amazing passes. When I did receive the ball inside, I had to find the open shooter or the cutter, and I had to do it almost instantaneously.

 We played six on six, which further complicated things. That’s not international basketball; it’s what you have to do when you have 12 people.

 The key is larger at the base in international basketball, not the rectangle that is seen in America. That took some time to get used to. The three-point line is farther from the basket. Those shots did not fall for me. But they did for everyone else.

 I have never played basketball with so many outstanding shooters. Only one person had a good mechanics, but everyone could make shots from just about anywhere. Very few of their baskets were made from the inside.

 I played against another “young” player who was as tall as me with longer arms and a jumping ability that was impressive. Then I saw his gym bag: Chinese National Volleyball Team.  We had a lot of fun.

 We were pretty evenly matched with our team winning two of the five games we played.

 The president, who was on my team, made the last shot to win the final game. Something tells me that happens often. 

They invited me back on Wednesday.

 I’ll be working on my jump shot.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment