Sunday, May 17, 2009

A Faculty that Sings Together, Teaches Together

Penn State’s president, Graham Spanier, may play the washboard, and some faculty may play in bands on College Ave., but nothing at Penn State can compare to what I saw on the SISU campus last week.

 There is an annual singing competition among the departments here. My faculty asked me if I wanted to listen to a large selection of traditional Chinese songs sung by faculty or staff. I thought it would just add to the cultural experience.

 It was a lot more than that.

 Each faculty team was in an appropriate costume for the song. The English department wore Western clothes and sang the “great” ballad “I’ll be there.” The Public Safety staff wore their uniforms and sang a very strong military song that I could not understand. It was a little intimidating.

 Each faculty had their own fans. Those fans used glow sticks and hand-clappers to support their team. Some fans made signs. Everyone sang along.

 I have never seen such support and relationships between students and faculty.

 I thought I would stay for a few minutes, watch the journalism faculty perform, and then be on my way.

 Three hours later, I was as big a fan as anyone else. 

Our faculty came in third overall, which is their best finish ever. Congratulations!

 My experience came in first

No comments:

Post a Comment