Saturday, May 9, 2009

Art of Negotiation

Everything is negotiable. That’s what I’ve been told. Do not pay full price for anything in a tourist location. Start very low and only move up slightly. OK, that couldn’t be too hard, right?

Wrong.

My mother asked me to find her a small box to add to her collection. I was at the Yu Gardens and found a small box that I thought would work. The price? 280 Kuai.

I thought I would offer 50.

You should have seen her face. The battle was on.

“This is real leather. Worth much more than 50 Kuai.”

“No, that is what I want to spend.”

“But look at this. It has a real clasp.” As opposed to unreal?

“OK, 180 Kuai,” she said. I was winning, but I hadn’t won.

“No. This is a beautiful box, but I will find a different box for a lot less money.” It might not be real leather or have a real clasp, but it would be cheap. Sorry, mom.

I began to walk out. She walked after me.

“OK. OK. 100 Kuai, but no less. It is almost what it cost us.”

Wow, walking out was a good move. “50 Kuai,” I answered.

By now she knew she was competing with a pro. What I didn’t expect was what she did next.

She moved in front of me and put her hands on my chest to push me back in the store.

“You are so strong. Your muscles are big.”

I almost paid the full 280.

“OK, 75.” Damn.

“90.”

“75.”

Her hands were still on my chest.

“What is the most you will spend?”

“75.”

“Fine. 80,” she said.

THAT was smooth. I almost bit.

I found myself slipping, but I regained my strength as little voices popped in my head.

“Sorry, I am leaving.” I took her hands off my chest.

“OK, 75. You are really good.”

I won.

Not quite.

As I went to the counter, I pulled a 100 out of my wallet. I sensed the negotiation was not over.

“I want the 25 in my hand before I give you the 100.”

The woman handed me 20. She kept the other five on the counter. Under her elbow.

Round 2.

By now, I had the momentum and the confidence. I took the box, still had my 100 Kuai AND I had her 20. I could have run.

She said “80.”

I began to count to three. Thanks, mom. I never thought that would work outside of scolding my kids.

“1, 2…” She gave me the 5. I gave her the 100.

My mother has her box. She had better like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment